Thread: Field Size
View Single Post
Old Mon Aug 11, 2008, 06:42am
Official Forum Member

I've observed two artificial turf fields being installed over the past 15 years with the major stripes sewn into the turf.

All those white strips are 4 inches wide. The starting point was the 50 yard line, right smack dab in the middle of it. Moving 5 yards in either direction, they inserted another 4 inches wide strip with it's center 5 yards from the center of the 50.

Once you get down to the 5 yard line (it's center point) 5 yards from that center point is the goal line front edge. Remember, the goal in is entirely in the end zone. It has no overlap in the field of play.

So, from the front edge of the goal line to goal line is 100 yards (300ft).
From the front edge of the goal line to the center of the 50 yards line is 50 yards (150 ft). got it?

When officials spot the ball on the 20 after a touch-back, some place it right in the middle. Some place it with the nose just at the front edge. Right in the middle is 20 yards from the goal line. Otherwise, the ball is really only 19 yards 34 inches from the goal line. I know, whoopee doo, who care. Only a mathematician would care or maybe a surveyor. I certainly don't, but I do spot it in the middle.