View Single Post
Old Mon Aug 11, 2008, 02:38am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yawetag
It seems the general idea is to follow the player, not the ball. We were all taught that.

What's your normal mechanic on a hit like this? I've seen three different "ideas" on this type of play (all assuming you're watching the catcher and not the ball):

1. Don't move until the catcher makes his move.
2. Move the same direction no matter what, leaving the catcher the ability to move straight back.
3. Move the opposite direction the ball was hit, thinking the catcher will move that way.

I've always gone with #1. I stand and see which way he decides to move. Once he's cleared what was my flank at TOP (I'm turning with him, so he'll never see my flank), I move to clear the area. Sometimes it's moving the same direction, but closer to fair territory, but others it's moving to the other side of the plate.

The argument for #2 that I've seen is that the catchers get used to the fact that you always move that direction.

#3 makes sense to a layman, but I can't see how a catcher (or the umpire on some) is going to always know which direction the ball was fouled off to.

What your mechanic here? Is this taught and in a book, or is it something you learn to do?
I was always taught to watch the catcher and move accordingly to get out of their way. Also I was taught to keep on your mask, because it is likely the catcher is going to throw his mask somewhere and you do not want to get hit directly in the face. Now having said that I cannot fault this umpire totally, but I think the fact he looked up he lost his perspective and fell. And I also think that he is not in the best shape which made the fall worse.

Now I have read some of these techniques in some books about umpiring, but I cannot tell you right now exactly where. I think in some books from NASO.

Peace