View Single Post
Old Mon Aug 11, 2008, 02:25am
Official Forum Member

It seems the general idea is to follow the player, not the ball. We were all taught that.

What's your normal mechanic on a hit like this? I've seen three different "ideas" on this type of play (all assuming you're watching the catcher and not the ball):

1. Don't move until the catcher makes his move.
2. Move the same direction no matter what, leaving the catcher the ability to move straight back.
3. Move the opposite direction the ball was hit, thinking the catcher will move that way.

I've always gone with #1. I stand and see which way he decides to move. Once he's cleared what was my flank at TOP (I'm turning with him, so he'll never see my flank), I move to clear the area. Sometimes it's moving the same direction, but closer to fair territory, but others it's moving to the other side of the plate.

The argument for #2 that I've seen is that the catchers get used to the fact that you always move that direction.

#3 makes sense to a layman, but I can't see how a catcher (or the umpire on some) is going to always know which direction the ball was fouled off to.

What your mechanic here? Is this taught and in a book, or is it something you learn to do?