Thread: Field Size
View Single Post
Old Mon Aug 11, 2008, 12:23am
Official Forum Member

Great question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mregor
I did a search and didn't find any thread on this topic. This has always bugged me, must be my OCD. We all know the field is 100' long. The yard lines are measured from the front edge of the respective goal line. The yard lines are all 4" wide. This is all fine and dandy until you get to the 50' line. In order to maintain the measurements from the goal line, the 50' line would need to be 8" wide, but it's not. Where do the extra 4" go?
That's a great question. One I've never thought of, but I think you have it backward. The 50 should diappear altogether. Consider, it's 5 yards from the goal line to the 5 yd stripe. then it's 4 yards and 32 inches from the back of the 5 to the 10. And so on. At the 45, go 4 yards and 32 inches and stop. Put a piece of string on the ground. If you then go to the other goal line and do the same thing, you end up at the same string -- the 50 should be infintesimally thin.

The one I've never figured out is the impossibility of a 100 yard run. If the ball is snapped 2 inches from the goal and the runner scores, it's counted as a 1 yard run. So if 0 to 1 = 1, why doesn't something snapped from inside the 1 at the other end of the field (99 to 100) = 100?

It's been said that anything from inside the 2 is a 1 yard play, but that doesn't make sense. That's 71 inches that can all be counted as 1 yard.