View Single Post
Old Sun Aug 10, 2008, 06:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
A mechanic I do not understand.

In a check swing situation, the mechanic is to point with the right hand for a left-handed batter and the left hand for a right-handed batter.

Why? It is not like the mechanic to hold the pitcher so the signal is in the open for all to see as it is just the opposite. This mechanic actually places the signal between the catcher and the batter. Since this isn't an issue of visibility, why would an umpire be asked to point with the right hand?

Since I was a young pup, I was always taught to not point with the right hand as it could be confused for another signal. Granted, I started in baseball where a "point" could be anything from a strike to an out to the direction of 1B. So ingrained is this train of thought, I have a hard time raising my right hand to indicate an IFF.

Any other thoughts on this mechanic?
Mike, I don't read the mechanic as you stated. I see the manual says when indicating a swing, the plate umpire indicates by pointing with the hand on the open side. That is a message delivered that is best seen by all.

However, when checking a swing to the base umpire, no such directive on pointing exists. Frankly, when you remove the mask with left hand, I see no real option but to point to the base umpire with the right hand.

In re: "swing", the emphasis several years ago was called "Simplify your Game", and urged single word calls, to minimize mistakes. It was suggested that those who call both males and females were safer with a generic call of "Swing?", than to mistakenly say "Did he go?" in a girls' or women's game, or "Did she go" in a men's game. One mechanic, used in all situations, is the mantra.