View Single Post
Old Fri Aug 08, 2008, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

Ranergs vs The Evil Empire

I was in Dallas for a meeting and my boss scored tickets for Wednesday's game(8-6-08)

Here is what happened in the 2nd inning:

Bases loaded, Zero outs

Laird hits a low liner to Canoe...The 2nd base umpire give an emphatic safe signal right away. Canoe, who could have had an EASY double play starts to argue then finally remembers to toss to Jeter for the force out. A run scored on the play. Jeter asks for time and shows the ball to the umpire (presumably to show that there was no dirt on it) The umpires meet and the Home Plate Umpire changed it to a catch and all runners go back.

I have never seen anything like this. Is this what MLB wants them to do? For the record, the replay shows that it was probably a catch.

http://mlb.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?mid=200808063266035 The title is weird...because it was initially a fielder's choice, not a single.

What do you guys think? I think they ultimately got the call right but, what if Canoe would not have been such a douche and actually gotten the double play...could the Ron Washington argued that he wanted them to talk and rule it a catch and send the runners back for only one out ???

Joe In Missouri