View Single Post
Old Thu Aug 07, 2008, 08:27pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwanr1
The rule book doesn't say the defender must STOP. However, it states this:

NCAA 4.35. A4 - Guarding: to establish an initial legal guarding position on the player with the ball,
b.The guard's torso shall face the opponent
d. When the opponent with the ball is airborne, the guard shall have attained legal position before the opponent left the playing court

The position of the defender and the nature of the contact caused him to fall to his right (the left from our view) and the shooter to fall to his right (the rightside of the screen). The defender isn't in legal guarding position because his torso did not face the opponent (his left shoulder was the first part of the body hit by the airborne shooter). If the defender gets hit in the chest, then I'll go with the PC. But he got hit on the shoulder so I have a block. In addition, it looks as the shooter is already airborne before the defender got there on time. Based on that, I have another reason to call a block.
For the record, the NF took out the reference to the "chest" as apart of requiring a PC Foul if the defender was hit in the chest. Even your rule reference does not show that (and you will not find it there in other references or interpretations). They did that about 5 years ago with an editorial change. And all that is required is the defender face the ball handler at one time, the rule does not suggest that he stay that way. And the defender was clearly facing the defender at one time.

Peace