View Single Post
Old Tue Aug 05, 2008, 07:21pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Better Wording Leads To Better Communication ...

Thanks for the input, both the constructive criticism, and those that agreed with me.

Let me elaborate. If the first play involving swinging elbows, or goaltending, or basket interference, or an intentional foul, etc., happens in the last thirty seconds of the game, again, it's the first time, neither my partner, or I , have even considered making these calls in the first 31:30, then we're calling it.

However, if both teams have been running motion offenses, and the screens we've seen in the first 31:30 have not been the best screens we've ever seen, nor have they been the worst screens that we've ever seen, in fact both my partner, and I, have deemed that these screens, while possibly, by the book, illegal, have not really put the opponents at any disadvantage, then we're not suddenly going to change our philosophy in the last thirty seconds and call, what we have passed on the rest of the game, an illegal screen, unless it puts the opponents at a bigger disadvantage then the "borderline" screens that we've seen in the past 31:30 that we've passed on.

Now, how can I word this in my pregame to make sure my partner understands what I mean?

Here's the way I have it worded now: " We’re not calling anything in the last two minutes if we haven’t already called it earlier in the game, unless it’s so blatant that it can’t be ignored. We don’t want our first illegal screen to be called with 30 seconds left in the game; but if the illegal screen puts a player into the first row of the bleachers, then we have to call it."

How can I word it better?