View Single Post
Old Tue Aug 05, 2008, 02:32pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac
From Billymac: "You're right. If we look for these infractions, we're doing our job, even if we miss something. If we don't look for these infractions, we're not doing our job."

JRutledge: What part of "You're right" didn't you understand.

I'm sure that we've all observed officials who are wasting their 15 minutes before a game doing things that they're not supposed to be doing, and not doing things they're supposed to be doing. We may miss some infractions due to hair, warmups, etc. but we at least have to make an attempt to look.

I often have a problem noticing metal hair clips during warmups, but when I see them in the game, they can't play with them in their hair.
I think you are missing the main point I am making. I spend a lot of my time looking for these infractions and I miss them often because the beads are the same color as the hair, or the hair is covering up the ears. Or better yet the ears are small and the earring is so small and does not sparkle, you do not see them. It is not always about wasting time and not looking for things. But when players have warm-ups covering their entire uniform, you do not see all the possible infractions. And as someone said when you work games where African-Americans are involved and the beads are the same color as the hair or the hair pin is the same color (or similar color) as the hair, even looking really hard you can miss something. I am sure this is the case for other people, but I know it is common to have African-American males wear corn roll styles of hair and often they put beads on the bottom of their hair.

Peace