Thread: Score the run
View Single Post
Old Tue Aug 05, 2008, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

Contradiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbybanaduck
"i'm not awarding a base hit. if you're so terribly concerned with the scoring of the play, it is a fielder's choice, and, in this case, it was a poor choice because it allowed the run to score before the third out ended the inning."
It would not go down as a fielder's choice or error. It would go down as a protest of 4.09, 6.05j, 7.12. The fielder's choice was to tag R2 for the 3rd out and to throw out the B/R for the 4th out. There was no guarantee of a good throw to 1B or an out on a speedy B/R to erase the run. The fielder did exactly what he is required to do. He did not make any mistakes and he was unfairly punished for his excellent play-making skills. It was also dumb that R2 allowed himself to be tagged out by F5 {1st rule of baserunning outs, to tballump}.

Taking away the fielder's choice to protect himself from making a bad or timely throw and ending the inning pre-maturely after the 3rd out was made at 3B is incorrect. The B/R actions are also important evidence. If he beats the throw to first, score the run. If he doesn't beat the throw to first, take it away. This becomes a protestable situation unless you can correctly justify the end of the inning. The 4th or 5th outs become the 3rd out, for all purposes, and cannot be meaninglessly tossed aside. As a manager, I would not allow my team to leave the field until my protest was recognized.

PBUC recognizes that any protestable issues may cost a MiLB umpire his job. Study the OBR rules carefully, and realize that not all customs and traditions are emphasized correctly. This may be one of those 230-something errors noted in the rules by J/R and others.

Last edited by SAump; Tue Aug 05, 2008 at 08:15pm.