View Single Post
Old Tue Aug 05, 2008, 01:01pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rei
Well, about the same for me. Except, I have only had one ejection this summer. So, three ejections, 103 games so far. Not bad. Maybe 4 warnings about arguing. Maybe had a coach come out asking about a call 5 or 6 times.

Pretty tame year!

High school doesn't count anymore. I truly believe ejections are only down because most states have implemented a suspension/fine system for ejections.
College coaches know when they are going to get run and when they cross the line, they usually aren't surprised. A JUCO coach I had to eject this season screamed some of the most personal stuff I had ever heard from the dugout after I balked in a run in the last inning. It was a no-brainer balk, too - I hadn't seen a pitcher blow through a set that badly in years. This guy actually was surprised he got run, mainly because he hires all his own umpires and most will tolerate anything to get games at the local JUCO. And many wouldn't call a balk if the pitcher fell off the mound, either.

We agree on the high school statistics. A group of five of us go to the rules meetings and usually account for over 10% of the state's ejections for the previous season (I was on the field for 3 this season, none by me, although I got practice playing rodeo clown. Many times this is in the playoffs and in at least two cases, the coaches weren't asked back or chose to leave their positions after the season. I don't think that the low ejections have to do with better behavior, though. I think it's because many umpires avoid ejecting because they know that suspension is there and is unavoidable. In a state where the regular season is exactly 20 games, a 1-game suspension is 5% of the season and, right or wrong, umpires have been known to let lines get crossed and settle for "administrative removal" by a coach rather than ejecting themselves.

Last edited by Rich; Tue Aug 05, 2008 at 01:06pm.