View Single Post
Old Tue Aug 05, 2008, 11:27am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
I'm not talking about borderline, incidental crap and believe it or not I actually do have a basic understanding of what call consistency is. I'm talking about a situation where an obvious foul or violation has simply not come up in the game yet.
Then we're in complete agreement. Part of Billy's comments (and mine, in my last post) state that if the foul is obvious, you call it. The reason I was talking about borderline/incidental calls was that they happen all the time during the game; and we don't call them. It would not be consistent (since you brought up "call consistency" ) to call a similar play at a point in the game where the teams cannot adjust.

Quote:
Taking Billy's philosophy literally, you couldn't call that obvious foul or violation in the last 30 seconds if it hadn't happened before.
Reading is fundamental. You stopped reading Billy's comments at the semi-colon. If you read the entire sentence -- "but if it puts somebody in the stands. . ." -- you can see that your last comment above is simply not true.