View Single Post
Old Tue Aug 05, 2008, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
JR, like it or not I heard the same philosophy being expoused during my camp-filled summer and each one of the camps I attended were camps where supervisors were looking to hire folks.

In the last 2 minutes they want calls that are obvious to everyone. Goaltendings tend to be obvious. Illegal screens sometimes aren't. In one camp game I called Team Control foul in the last minute of a tie game when a player shoved an off-ball defender in the back with 2 hands. In post game from the observer I was told I probably should have stayed away from that call b/c I was the only one who saw it.

I heard the pretty much the same thing when it came to illegal screens. If it's on the primary defender or a defender 1 pass away from the ball, that would be an obvious call. But if it's on the opposite of the court and has no immediate bearing on the play then they want you to lay off.

Hey badnewsref. Haven't talked to you in a while.

I understand the philosophy here but its hard for me to live with. Why should you not call a play that you would have called at any other point in the game.

There is a good quote that I write everywhere I go and it is: "players decide the outcome of games through legal actions, not illegal actions which an official chooses to ignore."

I do agree with the principle of being careful on screens way away from the ball.