View Single Post
Old Tue Aug 05, 2008, 08:19am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Yo, Bad News...

Why is it wrong to call an illegal screen in the last 30 seconds of a game if that illegal screen happened to be the FIRST illegal one set in that game? 'Splain that to me.

If you haven't called goaltending until the last 30 seconds, does that mean that you're not supposed to call it then?
JR, like it or not I heard the same philosophy being expoused during my camp-filled summer and each one of the camps I attended were camps where supervisors were looking to hire folks.

In the last 2 minutes they want calls that are obvious to everyone. Goaltendings tend to be obvious. Illegal screens sometimes aren't. In one camp game I called Team Control foul in the last minute of a tie game when a player shoved an off-ball defender in the back with 2 hands. In post game from the observer I was told I probably should have stayed away from that call b/c I was the only one who saw it.

I heard the pretty much the same thing when it came to illegal screens. If it's on the primary defender or a defender 1 pass away from the ball, that would be an obvious call. But if it's on the opposite of the court and has no immediate bearing on the play then they want you to lay off.