View Single Post
Old Mon Aug 04, 2008, 02:04pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by btaylor64
If a player just grabs the off. Players jersey and doesn't pull him to the floor or in an excessive manner than I am just taking a common foul. Calling this an intentional is being too pure and is not for the betterment of the game, IMO. By calling a play where a kid is trying to attempt to take a foul with no malice, you're detering him from committing a well accepted practice in the basketball community by being able to prolong the game and send a team to the FT line in hopes they will miss and the other team can have another possession.
I disagree. The strategy may be accepted (I have no problem with it), but what's also accepted is the player must be "playing the ball."

Accidentally, but briefly, grabbing the jersey as the arm swings through is one thing. I'd likely no-call it in a situation where the offense is trying to avoid the foul.

Actually holding on after that brief moment, however, constitutes an intentional foul as the defender has essentially dropped all pretense of playing the ball.

As Rut said, too, if there is contact prior to the jersey grab, a personal foul would be acceptable.