View Single Post
Old Mon Aug 04, 2008, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckfan1
Didnt see the collision...
When the pitcher mildy showed displeasure on the pitch...the PU sent out the catcher to talk to him.That was the right move in that situation.
However, if you noticed, the next pitch was a bit further outside than the one he balled, and he struck that. Which we see less experienced officials do sometimes after someone chirps,,,be it a player or coach.

On the 4-6 play. The umpire appeared to be in a good spot to call it. But the throw did pull the SS off. Whether he held the bag, hard to tell. The defense messed up, advantage offense..safe.

And R1 definitely interferred. Replays seemed to indicate R1 put his hands on F4 as he went by from behind. Causing F4 to lose his balance. He missed that one. And considering the way the game turned out...a huge non-call.
I believe the collision at the plate was an inning or two prior. I thougt the PU handled it well, although he never seemed to signal an out or safe call on the play (runner was out). I think he was (understandably) more concerned with preventing a fight, and may have verbally made the call.

Another play in the 7th that I thought was close was a bounding ball up the 3rd base line that was close to being foul. It was ruled fair, gloved by F5 and a throw was made for a force out. I'm not implying in any way they got the call wrong. I just would have like to have seen more replays on that one.

As for the possible interference, I agree that it should have been called. The runner could have easily avoided contact, and did not. And it seemed to cause F4 to make the "error."

I thought the umpire got the 4-6 play right. The replay showed that F6 was pulled off the bag by the throw.

I'm sure that game will be shown again. Definitely worth watching the last couple of innings.