Thread: ASA Nationals
View Single Post
Old Sun Aug 03, 2008, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEL
Geez glen.
Do you think it might last? Congrats on that. We usually spend our anniversaries on the ballfield somewhere!

12B Southern was bit dis-organized at first, also had 20 umpires for a 16 team tournament which kinda cut into the game totals. It seem that another National didn't get the participants, so those blues were moved to the 12B.

My very first game, bottom of first inning, watching pitcher warm-ups I had to take a poll amongst myself. This gal was throwing with her elbow tight against her side, and the balance of the arm was in a complete horizontal position! My quandry (not reall a quandry, but time to think) was Do I tell coach now? of course I decided no quickly, do I ignore? of corse I couldn't do that either, so the first pitch was IP, and the second, and after the third the coach finally wanted a chat. I explained the rule and wasn't really sure he understood. After about 14 more IP's (and I did let a very few pass) pitcher was pulled. He tried again in a later inning, but IP,IP,IP etc.

Of course we scarred her for life, the UIC, two other blues who called it, as well as couple of the NUS guys! (UIC sent a video out to them). You see, they had played over 180 games this year "AND THAT HAS NEVER BEEN CALLED!" (whats up Texas?)

Other than the initial tournament start (really pre-tournament), and not as much communication as I would have liked, (never met, or even saw the Umpire Coordinater) the only bad things were the heat, and the motel. Wednesday morning, and I had the early game, the water vanished at the motel! No shower, couldn't flush, then I go and get the side arm hurler so I could have a controversial, run rule game for my first outing!

THe Parks and Rec folks were great. We had all we needed, but no steak and potatoes! Food and drinks were always availeable, as well as a washer and dryer at the park it the umpire area, shower, towels and all the needed soaps and stuff.

All in all, it was a very good time. I'm ready fo 2009!
First time in 12 years that I was home on time.
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.