View Single Post
Old Sun Aug 03, 2008, 02:41pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle_12
Just lazily reading the rule book this afternoon and was reading Rule 10. I know we, as umps, don't worry about scoring the game and what not but I saw a interesting thing and was seeing about everyone elses input.

Rule 10.09 B: The officials scorer shall credit an automatic putout to the catcher when a:
(1) batter is called out on strikes.

My questions:
1.Is that called out, like caught looking, or both instances looking and swinging

2. Why does the catcher get credited with the put out. The definition of a put out is an action by a fielder which causes the out of an offensive player. The pitcher threw the ball, his pitch caused the batter to strike at the ball , or have the umpire to judge it to be a strike,

OR,

does the catcher recieve the credit due to the fact that he caught the ball and during the "point whatever extremly small amount of time" from when the ball crosses the plate to the point he catches it, the batter is sorta in limbo, and is not officially out/retired until the catcher successfully secures the ball.

Just wondering, Thanks
He only gets credited with the putout if strike 3 retires the batter. If the strikeout requires a throw or tag to retire the batter, then the position that causes the batter to be out gets the putout. This is what is meant by "called out" on strikes. When it's an uncaught 3rd with less than two outs with first base unoccupied or with 2 outs, the batter is not automatically out on strike 3, so the catcher is not automatically credited with something he didn't cause to happen.

This is a major rewrite to the rules, as the catcher was not previously credited with putouts on strikeouts. Now the catcher is credited with the putout, and the pitcher is credited with the strikeout, but not the putout.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25