Thread: Clear Sidelines
View Single Post
Old Fri Aug 01, 2008, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodScout
Bob and Jim are both correct on USC vs. IP. Mea culpa.

Our wings are actually instructed to kill the clock, go to the R, inform him you need a sideline warning, and then let HIM signal the warning. Kind of weird but I guess stopping play like that gets everyone's attention, since a flag in the middle of the field is more visible than one blocked by everyone standing on the sidelines.

That said, Georgia has determined that the days of coaches on the field during live play are done. Last year one of our wings had a brutal collision when he collided with a coach on the field while working his way downfield and his head turned to watch the action. Our guy was OK, but the coach had to go to the ER for observation.

If our first goal is safety and preventing injury, then you're not doing anyone a favor by letting a coach slide for coming onto the field during play.
Scout,

From what I have heard, the GHSA has adopted the new NFHS Officials Manual mechanic -- meaning that the wing official will now throw the flag and report it just like any other penalty.

That sentiment was also mentioned by the Exec Dir at the rules clinic I attended.