Thread: Clear Sidelines
View Single Post
Old Thu Jul 31, 2008, 08:24pm
Official Forum Member

I threw the warning flag last year when I filled in as a wing. I am normally the R. The coach had been on the field during play several times and I had said, "Coach, you need to be off the field during play." This worked only briefly. Just before a play, I glanced and saw him several yards on the field. After the snap, I threw the flag and reported to the R what happened after the play. On my way back to the sideline, the coach said, "What was the flag for?" I said, "Coach, look where you are standing." No problems the rest of the game. I love the fact that we can get their attention with a flag that doesn't cost any yardage. Later, the wing on the other side threw a flag for the same thing. No problems after that. I am encouraging more of our crews to address the problem this way because it works. In the past, we have been reluctant to throw the flag. Our state official will back us 100% on this. One thing that I consider is that it is a safety issue, for me, players, subs and coaches.

As for the sideline, I wish the FED would go to the NCAA rule where NO one is in the first 2 yds. I worked a state championship game as a wing in a dome with NCAA markings and the state required that the coaches were to abide by the NCAA markings. It was HEAVEN! The coaches stuck to it and I had more room to work safely. I hope that with the 2 yd. restraining line introduced last year that it is a step toward college markings.