View Single Post
Old Thu Jul 31, 2008, 06:04pm
Administrator

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
I really hate to reference old interpretations. But here it goes.

For what it is worth, the NF said that if the net gets caught the first time, you might take care of it by stopping play. If it becomes a constant issue, then to leave it alone and not constantly stop play to correct the net. The NF also said that that game management should make sure this is not a problem or have the correct size net. Now that ruling was from 2003 or 2004 Basketball Guidebook. I really do not feel like looking it up as to which one it was in.

Peace

Rut:

You mean you are going to make an old man like me climb up into the attic to find a rule interpretation.

Your reference to 2003 or 2004 is correct. I will go one step further. On more than occasion prior to 2000 when officiating in YBOA boys' or girls' or AAU boys' national championships in Florida I have been told by FloridaHSAA officials that the FloridaHSAA have issued instructions based upon NFHS rulings that the officials are to wait until when play causes the clock to be stopped, and then fix the net. I have been officiating basketball since 1971, but I have talked with basketball officiating friends who have been officiating at least then (10) years longer than I have who are sure that the NBCUSC issued interpretations in the late 1950's and early 1960's that contained the same information that I had officials in Florida tell me. I know that the NCAA has issused some ruling that pertains to Div. I games about having a ball boy or some such person fix the net when the teams go to the other end of the court, but that ruling came out about the same time the NFHS came out with its ruling in 2003 or 2004.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio