View Single Post
Old Wed Jul 30, 2008, 04:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2Koach
Please discuss without name calling or hair pulling.
Geeze, what fun would that be?

From what I've seen, there are different philosophies for different levels. There are some common threads throughout those levels. One common theme is if you call outside your area on "normal" calls, more often than not you're wrong. I believe another common theme is if you see a non-basketball play (punch, kick, etc.), come and get it, no matter where it is on the floor.

Some differences involve "getting the play right" vs. "letting your partner live and die with the call or no-call". One school of thought is if you are watching your partner's area, who's watching yours? Others will say is it fair to the kids if you have information that will allow a proper call to be made, why not make that call? Sometimes, depending on the play situation, your area of coverage will change and expand. A good example would be at C - if all the players are on T and L's side of the floor, I'm not gonna sit back and say, "Whew, no one's in my area, time for a nap". I'm going to expand my coverage across the floor and help out with screens off-ball.

I don't know if there's any right, one-size-fits all answer. Sometimes it will depend on your partners that night. Sometimes it depends on the supervisor, or the general philosophy of the area.

(Used with permission.)