View Single Post
Old Wed Jul 30, 2008, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Naw, that's way too complicated and nouveau wave for dumb ol' me. I'll just continue trying to make up my own mind on each call as to what I think it should be.....even though all the extra thinking required does make my head hurt.
Look, I understand what you're saying - get the call right. It's Officiating 101. Maybe this falls under Officiating 301 - it's having a wider awareness of what's happening in the game. I guess my feeling is the crew needs to get all the plays right, not just each official calling their own game. You know the "standard" for a foul in one game is different than the standard for another. So if I'm calling contact that would be a foul in a jr. high girl's game, but it happens to be a varsity boys game, I sure hope my partners would come over to me and tell me to get my head in the game and call it like they are. Maybe I'm working with another, unnamed official on this forum, and he's calling hand checks based on how his assignor told him, and I'm calling handchecks to the letter of the rule. We're both "right" in some respects, but we're certainly not consistent as a crew. Wouldn't you agree we need to be on the same page, therefore, consistent?

(Used with permission.)