View Single Post
Old Wed Aug 07, 2002, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to ripian
Re: You can't score the basket

Quote:
Originally posted by bigwhistle
As much as it seems the "right" thing to do, scoring the basket is not one of the legal options, either in NF or NCAA.

NF. 5-2-4 ....The only infractions for which points are AWARDED are goaltending by the defense or basket interference at the opponent's basket.

NCAA. 5-1-7... (reads identical to the NF rule).

Since this rule is in the book, I don't think you can use the elasticity clause to score the points. Maybe you can find a way to make sure enough free throws are taken, but the key is that the points must be earned, not given.
I would with you on your reference to the rules though I do disagree with your interputation in this instance. Both teams have worked hard to be in a position to win the game at the end and to allow a sub to run off the bench and block a potential game tieing shot is clearly a traversy of the game. With no time left on the clock I would not but putting the pressure on a player to hit 3 FT just to tie the game and send it to OT. The correct thing for the game IMHO is to count the basket and assess a Flargent Technical foul to the B player. By sending the game to OT this allows the people, and by that I mean the players, to decide the outcome of the game. Unlike crew (whom I respect) I would not allow Team A to shoot the FT awarded for the Technical Foul and end the game at that point. The FT would be shot before the beginning of the OT for the same reason - To allow the players to decide the outcome of the game. Allowing Team A to shoot FT to end the game in regulation (who were wronged in the first place) again IMHO would not provide for a fair ending for Team B eventhough that team member potentially blew the win for them. By counting the 3 point basket and ejecting the B player (which I believe is punishment enough) and sending the game to OT I still believe is the correct course of action for this game.

Now normally I am a by-the-book official and rules will be enforced as they are interputted in the rulebook (that is why it is there, afterall) BUT in this situation I would have to say that the book does not correctly cover this play and this is why I would choose to refer to NCAA R2-S3-A1 and apply the "elastic powers" provision to do the correct thing for the game.