View Single Post
Old Tue Jul 29, 2008, 04:28pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwanr1
Easy fellas - he's speaking from his heart and sharing his experience with us from camp. I don't sense any cockiness from his OP. He's simply frustrated with not being "LIKE-MINDED" with his crews and excited about the positive feedback from the clinicians. He's venting why his calls and views of the game are different than the veteran officials.
I did not respond because of his attitude. I responded because it was unclear to me what point he was trying to make or what he was asking. It is fine with me if he is venting, but that does not mean his venting was justified or based on something real.

Also unless I miss something, it is very hard to call things on both ends when teams do not have the same talent or play the same exact style offensively and defensively. If you ask me we worry too much about "consistency" in ways that there is not an opportunity to really have consistency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwanr1
Here's one point I want to bring out: I find that younger officials (age-wise) are more incline to not call fouls and let a lot more go. Younger officials are also more tolerant to unacceptable behaviors and non-basketball plays. Perhaps it just that the game has changed over the past decades. Any thoughts on this?
I completely disagree if you are only using age. I see a lot of officials with less experience who do not know what to call and not what to call. Age has little or nothing to do with it because they have yet to understand the game from the officiating perspective. Most of the newer officials I have seen in the last 10 years have been older in age (older than me as an example) and I see many of those officials not blow their whistle on just about every aspect of the game unless it is so obvious that even the janitor thinks the whistle should be blown. And I certainly do not see a lot of newer officials calling off-ball or calling proper loose ball activity when a veteran would make such a call.

Peace