View Single Post
Old Tue Jul 29, 2008, 02:15pm
Ch1town

Hold on now, I see the OPs legitimate question... How to deal with inconsistent block/charge calls by him (young official) vs. veterans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cewingate
One things that I noticed is that on drives to the basket and blocked shots in the free throw lane the veteran officials always called a foul on the defender. It did not matter if the defender had obtained LGP any body contact was always determined to be the fault of the defender. When I had the drive to the basket in my PCA if the defender established/maintained LGP and there was contact I either made no call or if the contact displaced the defender I called a player control foul.:
Although I dont agree with the OPs questioning of the vets judgement on a public forum.

I wouldn't change my CC to match their "alleged" ICC for the sake of consistency.

Instead you should ask them "what they saw" on the play in question. Then you let them know what you think you saw, so they can ask "why are looking in my area" but that's another story.

I believe officials who camp vs. those who don't will have many inconsistencies throughout the course of a game just because they have a different point of reference.

When you're the new guy it can be tough working with vets, you don't want to step on their toes over fouls/violations because you want to be accepted by them. After all they have the credibility that you desire!

The best way to work out inconsistencies is to communicate as a crew, IMO.

Quote:
At camp I received a great deal of praise for refereeing the defense and my call selection/judgement relating to fouls.
Food for thought:
We shouldn't go to camp to be told how good we are. We should be going to be told what we can do to become better. After all, any idiot can blow a whistle & call fouls/violations. What did Mr. Hall say about the things that make officials great compared to good? ie. your positioning (running to close down at lead, stepping down at the slot, adjustments, the 3 immediates) rules knowledge, mechanics, etc? If all you got was praise then you wasted your time & money...

Quote:
I come back and I work with officials that call the game in a different way than I was taught. Any feedback on how to work through is would be helpful.
Don't be the guy who goes to camp & comes back next season a know-it-all. It is ultimately YOUR responsibility to educate those who didn't attend camp NOT frown upon them. Maybe I'm wrong but I sense a little "my sh1t don't stink, what's wrong with these old guys" attitude from your comments. That will end a career before it takes off.
Be humble!
Find a mentor!
Be a mentor!

Most of all good luck this season!!