View Single Post
Old Tue Jul 29, 2008, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

Call Consistency as a Crew

I just completed my first year of high school basketball. This summer I attended two officiating camps (IAABO in Greely, CO and Dave Hall's camp at Colorado State University). I had a conversation with one of our board members and was told that I would be considered for a varsity schedule based on my performance during summer league tournaments and officiating camps.

I was selected to work games at a varsity girls tournament and each day I was paired with veteran varsity officials in our association. One things that I noticed is that on drives to the basket and blocked shots in the free throw lane the veteran officials always called a foul on the defender. It did not matter if the defender had obtained LGP any body contact was always determined to be the fault of the defender. When I had the drive to the basket in my PCA if the defender established/maintained LGP and there was contact I either made no call or if the contact displaced the defender I called a player control foul. This inconsistency as a crew made my first two days officiating this tournament frustrating and confusing. I even had a coach complain about why the calls were not consistent on each end. I tried to pregame this with partners but it did not seem to work.

At camp I received a great deal of praise for refereeing the defense and my call selection/judgement relating to fouls. I come back and I work with officials that call the game in a different way than I was taught. Any feedback on how to work through is would be helpful.