View Single Post
Old Wed Aug 07, 2002, 07:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PaREF
Devdog:

Good for you to give volleyball a try! Glad to see that you are going to attend a clinic. You should get some valuable tips which will help you get started.

As I said before, figuring out overlapping is the second-hardest rule for a new official to master (with ball-handling calls being the first). I have to agree with Brian's soapbox statement. To add one more point, usually the only person in the gym who knows if a team is overlapping is the official. So if you miss the call, no one will complain. I have been officiating for over 15 years and have never heard a coach complain about the other team overlapping. That is not to say you shouldn't call it when you see it. Just like Brian said - don't obsess about it.

As far as how often I call it, I probably average one or two overlap calls per every JV match. The new kids take a while to know where they are supposed to line up. I usually only call a couple of overlaps per season in the varsity matches.

One last point to add; I agree that people think officiating volleyball is much easier than other sports which require the official to move. But, I think the main reason is that volleyball coaches and players are MUCH less adversarial (and more knowlegeable of the rules) than basketball, football, or baseball coaches, players, and fans.
That is a great point I forgot. You rarely, if ever, run into a volleyball coach who does not know the rule.

Now, like me sometimes, they may confuse Fed, USA, and NCAA, but it is not like basketball, these guys and gals know their stuff.

I think it is because most did play club ball and in USAVB it is a rule, to know the rules as a participant.