View Single Post
Old Sat Jul 26, 2008, 02:18pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Code Word ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
For a brief time, NFHS ruled that anytime a coach indicated his players were going to foul, the officials should call an intentional foul once the foul was committed. That little experiment died a quick and necessary death.
Snaqwells: Did this happen more than 27 years ago. Before I began officiating, in the early 1980's. I coached a middle school basketball team. Whenever the situation dictated, losing near the end of the game, which happened a lot, because, back then, I really didn't know what I was doing, was a terrible coach, and we lost a lot of games, I would yell, "Foul", to my players, trying to stop the clock, slowing down the inevitable, another loss. We were fortunate to have an experienced varsity official officiate our middle school games, he was teacher at the high school, and one time, after a such a game, he took me aside and told me, "BillyMac, you can't be yelling, "Foul", like that, or I'm going to have to call an intentional foul. Come up with some type of code word." I did. Whenever such a situation came up at the end of a game, I would yell, "Steal the ball", to my players, code to foul as soon as possible. I don't recall such a NFHS ruling in the 27 years that I've been officiating, but this may have happened prior to my officiating, when I was a coach. Could you possibly have a citation from so long ago?