Thread: Situation
View Single Post
Old Fri Jul 25, 2008, 04:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne
Is that guessing an out?
It is doing the best I can under the circumstances presented to me. What do you do when you cannot see if a batted ball down the line was fair or foul because a play or coach literally blocked you our of the play?

If I reward the team which blocked me out of the play by an ODB leaving his assigned area in violation of 7.1.C, would that be right?

I cannot have a "do over" and Steve is correct, it is my judgment. And when the coach asks, it is, "Coach, I see the ball coming to the catcher. I see your runner coming to the plate. Just as the play happened, that idiot player of yours stepped right in front of me. When he moved out of the way, I see your runner on the ground, but the catcher has the ball. Runner's out. If you want to protest, take it up with your ODB".

I've never had one of those at the plate because I can pretty much move people out of my way, but I've had plenty on fair/foul and a couple at 2B. On a play from the OF for some reason, the pitcher feels he has to get between me and the play. In those circumstances, the call was safe.