View Single Post
Old Sat Jul 19, 2008, 10:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkjenning
Good, competitive boys' varsity game, team A turned the ball over on their last possession and was down by 4 with no more than two seconds left. Team B inbounded the ball and scored a layup on team A's goal, so the game ended with team B ahead by 2.

How much of a stretch is it to call an unsporting T on team B? In this situation, since team A simply gave team B a free inbounds it seems correct to let it go, but I would be interested in hearing any opinions on why/when this might be handled differently. Thanks.
A thought provoking scenario.

Is the coach of Team B is attempting to use the alloted 5-seconds for the ensuing throw-in to run out the clock because his opponent is out of time-outs?

If so, that is clever, but also not in the spirit of fair play. He is clearly attempting to gain an advantage not intended by the rules.

I doubt that I would have to resort to an unsporting technical foul though. I believe that the situation could simply be handled by blowing the whistle which stops the clock, and then clearly indicating to the teams their proper directions and then restarting play.

BTW that procedure is in the Simplified & Illustrated book.