View Single Post
Old Tue Jul 15, 2008, 01:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
Everything would be wrong with changing your call. If you call it, you eat it. You don't call it and then ask for help, or even worse, reverse yourself. That's horsesh*t. If you ain't sure, better ask before making a call.

Absolutely not. Reverse the call and have the other manager up in your face for a second argument? Cha, I don't think so! And it's not always prudent to admit you blew a call. If you know you blew it, maybe, but don't make a habit out of it. The pros make very few bad calls, so admitting to an occasional error is not a big deal. Always using the "I blew it" defense is bush and a sign of a really weak umpire.
I don't disagree with anything you said in rebuttal, but:

If the call was wrong and the umpire admitted it why call a conference of the other umpires? The call was so bad that the home plate umpire, had he been hustling, could have easily overturned it.

It is interesting to note that a couple of days before Minnesota got a triple play taken way when an umpire blew a call on a trapped ball, a ruling reversed after a conference that led to Gardenhire's ejection and a 7 run inning by the Red Sox.