View Single Post
Old Mon Jul 14, 2008, 11:50pm
Official Forum Member

MLB Umpire admits blowing call

From MLB reports: Detroit 4 Minnesota 2, Sunday, July 13, 2008
===
Blackburn's first two runs came in the second inning after a missed call by the umpiring crew. With one out in the inning, Marcus Thames hit a ground ball to third baseman Brian Buscher. The throw by Buscher to first base required Justin Morneau to extend his reach to make the catch. First-base umpire Jim Wolf ruled Thames safe on the play, although replays clearly showed that Morneau's foot had remained on the bag.

Gardenhire went out to talk to Wolf and the umpiring crew met for a moment to discuss the situation. But the call stood because no other umpire saw the play.

"He told me he made a mistake and said, 'I'm just going to have to live with it. I made a call and no one else saw it,'" Gardenhire said. "How are you going to argue with that? He told me he screwed it up, and all you ever ask is for an umpire to be honest."

The call proved costly for the Twins, as Clete Thomas followed it with his first career Major League home run. The two-run shot to right field off Blackburn gave Detroit a 2-0 lead.

Still, Gardenhire didn't place blame on Wolf for the turn of events.

"He didn't throw the next pitch over the fence," Gardenhire said.

--------------------------------

What would be wrong with overturning your own call instead of asking another umpire to do it?

Admirable as it was to admit blowing a call, would it have been better to just reverse the call?