View Single Post
Old Wed Aug 16, 2000, 06:02am
Official Forum Member

The state of Illinois has issued it's criterea for post season assignments. Here is how the IHSA will select post season officials from now on. Each official will recieve a power rating (max 30 pts):
1)Promotional level
certified official 5pts
recognized official 3
registered official 1
2)Part one exam
97-100 5
92-96 4
87-91 3
84-86 2
80-83 1
3)Previous Tournement Experience
state final 5
semi's 4
quarters 3
second round 2
first round 1
4)Coaches and officials rating for two years
90th percentile 5
80-89 4
70-79 3
60-69 2
50-59 1
5)Number of varsity games worked-based on the maxium allowed by the state.
50% 5
40-49 4
30-39 3
20-29 2
10-19 1
6)Recognized in the top 15 list from officials associations,schools, and assignors.
90th percentile 5
80-89 4
70-79 3
60-69 2
50-59 1
I have no problem with the 4 of these subjects, but two of them rubs me the wrong way. Previous tournement experience is one.Once this system is in place, getting a post season game will next to impossible. Once the official gets a playoff game, that official will contiue to get playoff games the only way an official will get a post season game is some one dies or retires? The numbers will continue in his favor for eternity. This really kills officials that move in from out of state and are at the certified level. I was talking to a crew mate on our football crew last night and he made the statement that if there is now goal to reached, then why do this every Friday night?
the other problem I have is number 6. Look out for the good old boy system to be at work for this one. I can't wait for the politics to start flying. And on note that is my-our problem, in my area, we don't have an assignor and our association is not set-up to judge who is the 15 best officials in any given sport. Now our association has to jump through hoops to put this system in place and who is going to do the ratings.
Change is some thing I hate and yet I have been yelling about for years and I got what I wanted, but there are going to changing pains over the next few years. Please give me your thoughts

Curtis