View Single Post
Old Tue Jul 08, 2008, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THREE
Please---assume for a moment! Catcher drops ball as stated, however, the pitcher who was backing up the play reaches down and picks up ball and tags runner who is trying (as previously stated) to reach base (catcher is sitting on base and has her blocked. Would you call runner out?? What's the difference between catcher and the pitcher tagging runner? Catcher obviously has runner blocked in both cases.
Suppose both players are laying on each other not moving and the pitcher alertly tags the runner and then you call time realizing that they've knocked each other out.

In your case it depends on how I judge the catcher to have impeded the runner. If the catcher is standing in front of the base and falls back onto it and the runner is tagged out exactly because the catcher was where the runner knocked him, I'll have the catcher remaining on the base as obstruction only if the catcher doesn't seem to be getting out of the way. (I can't see the timing being tight enough here to have a problem.) If the catcher falls near home plate and rolls onto it, left arm out.
________
How To Roll A Joint

Last edited by youngump; Mon Sep 19, 2011 at 06:17pm.