Thread: Whats the call
View Single Post
Old Tue Jul 08, 2008, 08:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem
Hello .. mcfly!

The balls dead. Its not GRD. You dont get to choose GRD on this play.

A space ship could steal that ball and the runner still doesnt get to score.
Okay, let's start seeing some rule citations here...

I have no outs here because: 8-8-M - R2 was on the base, and it sounds like he didn't interfere intentionally.

The problem becomes 8-5-I (the GRD rule), whereby:

Quote:
When a fair batted ball bounces over, rolls under or through a fence or any designated boundary of the playing field. When the ball deflects off a defensive player and goes out of play in foul ball territory, deflects off a runner or umpire and goes out of play into foul ball territory, after having passed an infielder excluding the pitcher and provided no other infielder had a chance to make an out.
Now, it sounds like F3 had an opportunity to catch the ball in flight. However, I'm going to have to go back on my word and state that ASA, from what I've found, has nothing in the book to cover this specific play. If F3 had been in front of the base (assuming F4 was by 2B), that'd be one thing. However, this doesn't seem to be covered.

I'm not calling an out on R2. However, do you give all runners 2 bases? Or do you do something different? Advance BR to 1B, force R2 to 2B, leave R1 on 3B and call it even?

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.