View Single Post
Old Sat Jul 05, 2008, 12:03am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
But that's not all you've said.
I'll grant that you seem to be willing to call the travel if the kid runs from the half-court line in the process of his special dunk.
What I'm not sure of, however, is if you're willing to call a travel if the kid "obviously" picks up his pivot foot prior to starting the dribble, or if he takes one extra step with his pivot foot after picking up his dribble. IOW, it's obvious to the official even if little brother doesn't understand it in the stands.

Whether it's obvious or not has nothing to do with whether an advantage was gained. Whether it's obvious is subjective, quite frankly. Whether an advantage is gained is also subjective. Whether a player traveled or not is not subjective.

(trying to use words Nevada doesn't have to look up.)
Once again, what people consider a travel is also subjective. I see officials call travels all the time at the high school level that just "look funny." Or call a "carry" because the ball is dribbled high. So how is this any different than the NBA if they do not call travels that closely, and we (as high school officials) call travels that do not exist. Better yet, I see many of the same travels in the NBA missed at the high school level. I should know, I watch them all the time just during the summer and I pick out what I see as a travel, the officials on the court either miss or have a different point of view.

Honestly, this really is a silly debate at the end of the day, because this is more about certain people do not like the NBA more than what is called or not.

Peace