View Single Post
Old Fri Jul 04, 2008, 04:39pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAump
First, I also have a problem w/ a coach taking a position behind the plate in the same tourney where his team is participating. This is not the place to be scouting an opposing pitcher's command of the strike zone.

Second, I have a problem with a rule modification unless it was clearly stated in the local ground rules. Even then, I would politely request an explanation from league officials as to how this 12-ft trend line came to be in place. State that it is a new situation and you just want some info.

Third, and take this lightly, read the comments one of the league directors made to you and how you responded to those comments. He may have said that just to shrug you away, hoping you would let it go. Try to find out more about the situation and avoid any rash judgement about those people. Step away from this issue for a while. It should be clear that most "baseball" people acknowledge the usefulness of NFHS rulebook, even as poorly written as it may be.

Fourth, I like DG's comment about warming up outside the field, or perhaps off the right or left field fence line, if it is possible w/out delay. Otherwise I would have the bats ready for the players to warmup while the defense is taking the field. I would then encourage them to rest in the dugout until it is their turn to bat.

SAump:

As I just posted to Bob Jenkins. The league has not on-deck rule except the NFHS Baseball Rules which it states quite clearly is the league (and mid-season and end of season tournaments) playing rules. The league directors response is that our umpires have always done it that way. Which really is not a logical reason to knowingly break the rules.

I agree with DG's comment about warming up in dead ball territory. I have given coaches that option many times and even told the league directors that as an umpire I would have no problem if the league wanted to adopt a rule that required the on-deck batter to warm up in dead ball territory. That was a solution that was too obvious to the league directors.

And since the UIC is not a registered MichiganHSAA baseball umpire I am not surprised that he umpired in the tournament and then acted as the UIC in a game he was coaching really shows that he has no concept of officiating ethics. Mark, Jr. just graduated from high school last month and I have been telling my assigners since he was in 7th grade not to assign me Start H.S. athletic contests. And since I am vice-president of the athletic boosters it is even more important that I do not present an appearance of a conflict of interest.

The real thing that burns my tuchus is that this problem does not exist in high school baseball and fast pitch softball. I can't remember the last time I had an on-deck batter in either sport want to go to the opposite to warm up and softball diamonds usually more confined that baseball diamonds.

This is a trend that is being promoted by people who have no knowledge of the rules and the umpires who do know the rules and being made the scape goats in this situation.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio