View Single Post
Old Fri Jul 04, 2008, 12:43pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by msavakinas
Now back to my reasoning, it's simple advantage/disadvantage. If a player puts his pivot foot down a tenth of a second before the ball is released for an easy lay-in when no defender is around are you really doing the game any good by calling it?

Now if he is being closely guarded and takes two extra steps and everybody knows he traveled then by all means call the travel. But I would rather see an official pass on a "close" or "non-obvious" travel then to call a wrong one. Thats the way I've been taught to officiate.
Please let us know where the "cut off point" is between 1/10 of a second and two extra steps so we then know when to call the travel and when not to call it. Is it at 1/2 second or perhaps 3/4 step? Inquiring minds want to know.

Making a call like this has nothing to do with "advantage/disadvantage". Either the player traveled or he didn't. If he did and you saw it, call it. If he didn't or if he did and you didn't see it, don't call it. It's a simple game.

On what other rules do you flip a coin to decide if you will enforce them or not?