View Single Post
Old Wed Jul 02, 2008, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

There is a message here

Guys with the exception of Football, who has a constantly rotating rule set, and wrestling, which is a totally different animal, what we are seeing now in HS sports is the reality that there is not much left on the horizon to change in the game rule-wise. Even in hoops, when guys are thinking about the big change in clearing our the 1st lane spaces (what a waste) or moving the 3 point line back, this is not earth shaking.

Ask yourself, "What was the last major change in HS Baseball, or NCAA Baseball, to the playing rules?" To my mind, it is the FPSR, and that was what, 10 years ago? The only closer one in Fedlandia was the pitching rule change about turning shoulders to 1B, but that is not really significant.

So FED is down to "gardening" the rules, and maybe one day, cleaning up the book so it makes sense, until someone comes up with the next big innovation to the game (Like a 2 batter penalty for rules violations where the defense has to play with 8 guys or something ). In a lot of ways, we ought to welcome this, the rules are pretty stable, it easy to teach them, and the rats don't have new things to mess up.

But it will make for a lot of boring rules meetings in the future. In my state you have a mandatory rules meeting every year for your sport, which means I have 6 of them. And most of them can be done in about 10 minutes, so the interpreters have to fill the hour up with noise pollution, and talking to coaches about eligibility.

My impression is the the NCAA clinics are more like rules review and standardization of mechanics and enforcement than anything else, FBoFW.

Let's enjoy it while we have it! Who knows, someday the FED boys might decide to add the DP/Flex rule or some other miserable Softball crap into our rules, and then we will have a mess on our hands.

Last edited by jkumpire; Wed Jul 02, 2008 at 09:34am.