Thread: Fence
View Single Post
Old Wed Jul 31, 2002, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

Tim C: If it is legal to catch a ball by sticking your arm through a fence, then the fielder could make the catch with his bare hand, hold the ball on the other side of the fence, and say to me, "Look Mr. Ump, I have the ball securely in my hand." He could now try to do any of those things you mentioned, but if instead he said, "I will now try to pull the ball back through the opening I put my arm through" and in doing so drops the ball, I say it's still a catch. To me, the question would be whether, if the ball drops into DBT, you give the runners one base from where they were when the ball fell into DBT, or two bases from the last base touched at the time of the "throw."

I know that release has to be voluntary and no "time of possession" is involved, but there's a point at which the play is over. Center fielder catches a fly ball for the third out. Runs 40 steps in with the ball in his glove. Accidently drops--involuntarily releases--the ball as he passes the mound. Nothing wrong in Houston. That's still a catch.