View Single Post
Old Mon Jun 30, 2008, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UES
Brian,

Fairchild did exactly what probably every other AAA fill in did (not including Drake or Gooch since they're pretty much full timers anyways). As Pinella came out onto the field to argue the check swing, Fairchild put the stop sign up and told Pinella to "Don't come out here". While Pinella stopped, he continued to pop off and get in a couple more shots, Drake decided he had heard enough and took the EJ for Fairchild.
What, does the MLB assign guardian angels for the minor leaguers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UES
Considering the status of Fairchild and Pinella, I think Fairchild handled it about as good as you can considering if he would have dumped Pinella from long distance, Pinella would have created a major scene.
So a major league umpire, with every reason to dump, decides not to because he is afraid?
If that's true he's may be qualified for LL duty, but I doubt it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UES
Fairchild did what MLB wants him to do and that is "try" to keep him in the game if possible. Drake, on the other hand, saw that Pinella was taking advantage of a younger AAA fill-in, stuck up for his partner and took the EJ himself.

That may be OK in LL. The seasoned umpire taking up for the fragile 13 yr old on the bases that's getting an earful from a daddy coach, but I don't see it here.
Ever hear of "trial by fire" or "experience is the best teacher" or "learn by your mistakes"?
Fairchild is a seasoned umpire, I doubt he needs protecting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UES
As the plate umpire, when you ask for help on a check swing, you do not allow a team to go after your partner because they didn't agree with his decision. Drake did exactly what any "umpire's umpire" would do and that is stick up for his partner.

Once Drake allowed Pinnella on the field and at best, once Fairchild interacted with Pinnella, it was out of Drake's hands.
Now it's between Chad and Lou and Drake is out of the pic.
If Drake wanted to stick up for his partner he should have stopped Lou before Chad had to.
And I think that's what Brian was saying as well.
Not that I'm trying to protect him or anything

Quote:
Originally Posted by UES
While it may have not looked pretty, it was the right thing to do and that is ANOTHER example of why Drake will be the next full time MLB umpire. Could Fairchild have dumped Pinella...yes, Should Fairchild have dumped Pinella... maybe but talking about it in the lockeroom, Fairchild probably thanked Drake for taking the bullet for him. That is what umpires do for each other.

Why would Drake making the ejection be considered taking a bullet?

If I was U1 and had successfully turned Pinnella away without much effort at all and then PU ejects, as you allude to, on my behalf, I'd be peeved.
I don't think I'd be thanking him in the locker room. Rather, we may be adding ejection ettiquette(sp) to the pre game.

Last edited by CO ump; Mon Jun 30, 2008 at 03:14pm.