View Single Post
Old Mon Jun 30, 2008, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmets
Why does it matter? If MLB thinks you're qualified to work MLB games, you can do it no matter what. Are you saying if Tim Welke (or any other "full-timer") was at first base there's no way that situation happens? Piniella's a rat, always has been, and I'm sure Rob and Chad can both defend their actions well.
I'm not saying that at all. The same situation could have occurred with anyone on the game.

What I'm saying is, why not mix in the so-called "lesser umps" with the "more experienced" umps. It's makes sense as a means of mentoring the up and comers.

If you were scheduling 2 varsity HS games with 2-man crews, would it make sense to put 2 up and coming umps on the same game, and 2 veterans on the other game? It might work out that way, but it makes more sense to pair 1 vet with 1 new guy, and the other vet with the other new guy.

Baseball had 15 games yesterday. Surely they could spread out the "minor" umps throughout baseball, instead of putting them together.

Would the outcome have been different? Probably not. Should Lou have been tossed? Absolutely. Should it come from the guy behind his back, that he isn't talking to? I've seen some say yes, but personally, I want to take care of my own business, and if I don't choose to lower the boom, I should live with the consequences.