Thread: Is this a tag?
View Single Post
Old Sun Jun 29, 2008, 09:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7in60
In a game last week, there was a force out on a runner returning to 1B. F3 also applied the tag, but the ball was in her bare hand and the glove was sandwiched between the runner and the ball. I pondered whether I would have given credit for the tag had it been a tag play. I decided it was equivalent to the ball being in her glove. Is this correct?
Uhhhh... Force out on a runner returning to 1B? Sounds more like a timed appeal play to me.

Am I understanding this correctly here? The runner was returning to the base to tag up on a caught fly ball, and F3 had the ball in her hand and tagged the base before the runner came back. And in doing so, she also tagged the runner with the glove with the ball in her hand, behind the glove?

If she had tagged 1B while in possession of the ball, who cares if she tagged the runner? If she's got the ball outside of the glove and she only tags the runner with the glove, I do not have a tagged runner.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.