View Single Post
Old Thu Jun 26, 2008, 08:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwest
I don't agree with the Mark's ruling that this is a foul on A1, but I have to say that the above quote is not what Mark is talking about. B1 had obtained LGP before the player was airborne. He moved to maintain LGP. There is a big difference. Someone needs to ask Peter the following: Can a player who has already obtained LGP before an offensive player became airborne, can said player move into the airborne players path? Everyone agrees, including Mark, that a defender can not obtain LGP AFTER the offensive player has gone airborne.
It's very simple: in order to have a legal position against an airborne player you have to be there before that player became airborne. It's illegal to move into the path of an airborne player (and this does not distinguish between offense and defense). "Moving to maintain LGP" refers to guarding a player who is not airborne.

Are there other ways to express the concept? Again, I know FIBA, but Fed or NCAA should be the same.

I learnt (or should I say "learned"?) this motivation: the player with the ball must expect to be guarded, when not airborne, so there are no time and space restrictions for the defender; but for an airborne player it's impossible to stop or change direction, so ...

Ciao