Thread: Mets v Mariners
View Single Post
Old Thu Jun 26, 2008, 12:14am
Official Forum Member

I was listening to the radio when this happened. The announcers, Mariners employees, talked as if it were Manuel who initiated the bump.

Interesting that many think now it was Runge who initiated it. Maybe Mets fans?

Ria

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
Okay, I've heard enough about the phantom "bump." I've watched the video 5 or 6 times now, from start to finish. After Brian cleaned the plate, he stood up to walk back behind the plate only to find Manuel between Beltran and the catcher. Manuel had no business out there whatsoever. His rat was arguing balls and strikes, so as head of rats he felt it was his duty to bring his ancient butt out there to argue. He is the one initiating contact with Runge by getting in his personal space. You don't get up in someone's face and expect to get away without a bit of contact.

Then, after a lengthy arguement in which Runge was his extra-patient usual self, Manuel started to walk away, still in the ballgame. Then, for some reason, as Runge didn't say a word, Manuel starts back at Runge and gets right up into his grill, nose-to-nose. Then Runge appears to distance himself and walk around Manuel to the right. That's when Manuel tried to block Runge off and a little contact occurred just before Runge gave him the heave-ho.

I saw no agressive bump or contact initiated by Runge, and I looked hard to find it. Fans see what they want to see, and judge situations by their emotions, and NOT by the facts.

The real culprit here was Jerry Manuel for leaving the bench. Beltran was going to get to say his peace and get back in the box, which is more rope than I would give him. Runge was trying to be civil with him, even though he kept running his mouth. Beltran got run for continuing arguing in Runge's face after the Manuel ejection. It wasn't really about balls and strikes at this point, it was about stupid ballplayers thinking that the can just do whatever they want to the umpires without penalty.