View Single Post
Old Thu Aug 24, 2000, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker:
Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins:
Actually, this is incorrect. Camron had it right. Case 6.3.1D

Yes I see your point about Case 6.3.1D. But didn't you say up above that the rule is uncorrectable? Perhaps I didn't understand your point in your original post.

I was applying the correctable errors rule strictly in terms of live ball/dead ball, clock starting and stopping and so forth. My interpretation is that when the ref handed the ball to the A team player to inbound (before the quarter ended), it became live. Then when the quarter ended, the ball became dead. Now when the ball is handed to B, it becomes live, so the situation is now past correctable.

Also note what Jerry Baldwin says in the post above about it not being correctable once handed to the player.

And actually this situation is not precisely the same as the case in the book. Since A did have a brief touch (this makes the ball live, remember) and then the quarter ended, and THEN the ball was handed to B.

Okay, next question. If, after the foul the refs decide the arrow was wrong and they want to correct it, do they cancel the foul? After the foul, the error is not correctable, is it? So what happens to the arrow at this point?

Okay. It's an error to hand the ball to the "wrong" team. And, it's correctable until the ball is touched inbounds. But, it's not a "Correctable Error" (since it doesn't fall within 2.10 and the time frame for correcting it is different).

How would I resolve the original situations? Put the arrow where it belonged (still with A since they never completed their "deserved" throw-in). Allow the other action that happened during a live ball -- a foul. If B is not in the bonus, they get the throw-in -- not by AP but as the proscribed penalty for being fouled. If B is in the bonus, they get shots. In essence, this part is as if A had the throw-in and fouled.