View Single Post
Old Wed Jun 25, 2008, 07:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
How are you going to execute that crucial 1st step if you are at a 45 degree angle to the foul line. It's not a matter of "I can beat so-and-so to my position." It's a matter of I can get to the cutout in several steps less than you and probably much quicker. On pickoffs, I take a full step up and pivot on my left foot as I was taught by the pros. Perfect positioning to see the play. There is no need to cheat towards the 1st base line in my stance. It is not an advantage to be turned sideways to the plate. Being able to react quickly to any situation is far more of an advantage.
I'm not arguing that the book is wrong. I'm just saying that I prefer not having to take that step on a pickoff if I don't have to. Some of those pickoffs are so quick that you're not set at the tag or just barely so.
The way I set up I just turn my head, no change in elevation, no over the shoulder, no body movement. I think it's hard to argue that that is less effecient than a body turn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
It's not a matter of "I can beat so-and-so to my position." It's a matter of I can get to the cutout in several steps less than you and probably much quicker..
I doubt it.
At a 45 deg. angle my right foot(heel to heel) is displaced 18-20" from square up to home.
My initial drop step is 20" longer than yours and then we're the same.
It would be difficult to calculate the part of a second it takes to cover that 20"
I can't recall ever being out of position on a straight steal at second

I think Bob hit it on the nose. The real drawback to my position is Perception.