Thread: Injury
View Single Post
Old Wed Jun 25, 2008, 03:38pm
Official Forum Member

One of the locations where I call does not do a very thorough job of fixing up the fields before games. I think they nail drag it maybe twice a year, if that. As a result, the batters' boxes have two pits that are set about 4-6" below ground level (I'm sure you all know what I'm talking about). Every day, the field crew just rakes the loose dirt back into the boxes, chalks out the lines, and that's it.

One night, a right-handed batter stepped into the box and gave the ball a good smack to a gap in the outfield for a base hit. R1 was on 1B, and immediately took off for second, then third. The batter tried pushing off with his left leg, but his foot wasn't planted firmly enough. Suddenly, he dropped to the ground into a heap. Thinking he had simply "spun out" like so many batters before him, I went around him, figuring he was just embarrassed. I had moved out a few steps towards the pitcher's plate, then moved towards the holding zone as R1 went for 3B.

I glanced at the BR, who was still crumpled on the ground, and I could easily see the problem - his left kneecap was 90 degrees to the left! I killed the play, gave R1 home (which he would have easily gotten), and awarded the BR 1B. At no time did the BR indicate that he needed help, or that anything was seriously wrong. He calmly laid there.

Creepy.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.