View Single Post
Old Wed Jun 25, 2008, 03:10pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO ump
I agree, you lose maybe a half step.
How often is that crucial, relative to the steady stable look you get on all 1b pick off moves?

Realistically speaking
There are many, many umps with bad knees that don't move far or fast but are very good umps. I could spot most of those guys a full 1 or 2 steps and still beat them to a spot.
So taking a stance that gives you an advantage on pickoffs and puts you a 1/2 step behind when you need to move to the right is only an issue if you are not athletically able to recover that 1/2 step.
I was merely explaining the way it was/is taught. When you are in B, the proper first move on R1 stealing is to take a drop step with your right leg. Then you cross over step with the left leg as you take the ball over your left shoulder area and you end up in the cutout set for the play. How are you going to execute that crucial 1st step if you are at a 45 degree angle to the foul line. It's not a matter of "I can beat so-and-so to my position." It's a matter of I can get to the cutout in several steps less than you and probably much quicker. On pickoffs, I take a full step up and pivot on my left foot as I was taught by the pros. Perfect positioning to see the play. There is no need to cheat towards the 1st base line in my stance. It is not an advantage to be turned sideways to the plate. Being able to react quickly to any situation is far more of an advantage.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25